Friday, January 22, 2010

I would like to learn how to quilt


Orginially uploaded by Red Pepper Quilts

I would like to learn how to quilt funky, contemporary, not-neccessarily-floral quilts. That being said - how does one learn how to quilt? I've tried various internet searches with no luck. There doesn't seem to be classes. I've tried looking for kits but they are...not my style.

It seems that the only way to learn how to do these things is through a relative or friend.  Presumably an older one (because they are wise and worldly).  Sadly my relatives do not craft, live too far away, or do not know how to quilt.  So I have come to the conclusion that I need to adopt a Nanna (I miss my Nanna!).  A crafty, clever, quilting Nanna who lives close by.  And cooks (just for kicks).  I think that would be fun.  She could teach me the art of quilting while we sip tea and reminisce about "The Wheel of Fortune".

Maybe I should start a nation-wide Adopt-a-Nanna scheme.  If you're lucky enough to still have a Nanna you could always adopt another one.  The more Nannas the better, I say! 

Who's in?

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to have my Gran teach me much of how to quilt, the patchwork parts of it anyway.

    However, there are stacks of non-person resources for learning. As there were many gaps in my knowledge when I recently decided to make a quilt (which turned into some quilts). I took a whole heap of books out of the local library, all the ones that were about quilting pretty much, and flicked through them. Some were good, some not so good, and sadly I can't remember which were which now. However, they did have step by step instructions for the various stages of quilt-making. There are also a lot of tutorials online about the various steps of quilting, as well as quilt-a-longs (current and archived) which detail every step.

    There's also the modern quilt guild, with one starting in Melbourne soon, you could always join that if you want to learn how to quilt as at least you'd meet some local quilters who might be able to help you (you might even find your adoptive nanna)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails