Wednesday, February 16, 2011

quest for the best japanese - weeks 1 and 2

I only just realised that i should probably be blogging this journey - mostly so I won't forget where we've been, but also because someone might be interested.  You never know.  I'll rate them out of 10 as well, just to make things a bit easier.

Week 1 


Teppansan Japanese Cafe
179 Russell St, Melbourne

So far this is the best Okinomiyaki that we have had outside of Japan.  It was still far from the wondrous thing we had in Hiroshima, but it was still tasty.  This place is small and doesn't look incredibly appealing from the outside, but we very much enjoyed our meal here.  It has a real Japanese vibe to it.  Having said that, I can't remember what else we ate!  The food obviously wasn't very memorable.

Rating = 4.5 out of 10


Week 2


Ito Japanese Noodle Cafe
122 Bourke St, Melbourne



The service at this place was pretty dreadful.  I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt though as it was Valentine's Day and they seemed to be pumping out the takeaway orders (go figure!).  We waited a long time for our drinks and the Sushi chef was so busy we had to have our sashimi at the end of our meal.  I really didn't like that at all.  Sashimi for dessert = not so good.  But....we did have a delicious yaki soba and katsu curry, and very much enjoyed the Sapporo on tap.

Rating = 5.5 out of 10



Now that I'm doing this I promise I'll pay more attention next week!  I'll also try to remember to take some pictures (please excuse the blurry iphone shot)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails