Monday, June 20, 2011

being a good sport

My first Motivator

This is particularly relevant after the game I went to yesterday.  Sydney Swans (my team!) lost to Carlton by 34 points after a slight improvement in the last quarter.

Now I don't want to go on and on about the game, but I would like to talk about good sportsmanship.  Everyone wants their team to win but it just ain't gonna happen every round.  So you do what a good fan does and come back next week ready to cheer and hope for the best.  You might get a bit cranky, but you still cheer your team on until the end of the game.  And if you win you celebrate, sure.  You might gloat a little.  But I really don't think you need to be mean about it.  I don't think you need to boo the other team (whom you are beating by quite a lot) every time they take a shot on goal (and then laugh if they miss).  I don't think you should laugh when your child says things like, "haha, suck it! You guys are suckers!" and "No one's ever gonna beat us!" for the entire game.  I think there is such a thing as being a good winner.  And a good looser.

Do you agree, or am I just being overly sensitive?

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I found it really terrible the couple of times I've been to the AFL to hear the crowd boo-ing the opposite team. Didn't like it,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails